New for the 2022 season is a Helena Bearcats AAU team.
Our AAU program is intended for wrestlers who are looking for additional mat time or different competition than our SouthWest Montana Little Guy (SWMLG) program offers.
The AAU season starts in early January and will run through the end of March, with tournaments starting toward the end of January each season.
Bearcats AAU is offered for wrestlers in grades 3-8. Ages 8 and under will need 2+ years of experience to join the AAU team. 7th and 8th grade wrestlers are welcome regardless of experience or skill level.
Reasons for creating a Bearcats AAU Team:
- Allows for older wrestlers to “fill the gap” between SWMLG and High School.
- Gets our more experienced wrestlers additional mat time and experience for larger tournaments like the Montana Open
- Creates a separate practice to ensure coaches can coach to appropriate skill level.
- Reduces total numbers in gym for practices
- Exposes wrestlers to competition from a wider region
- Keeps our Bearcat wrestlers together so they don’t spread out to other AAU clubs
- Maintains an emphasis on multi-sport athletes without year-round burnout. Wrestling should be fun!
Can my wrestler start with the AAU team in January and then switch to Little Guy?
- Yes, with the understanding:
- Pee Wee and Beginner wrestlers (ages 8 and under) will be required to participate in SWMLG at the next higher age group. Pee Wee will compete at SWMLG tournaments as Beginner. Beginner will compete as Novice.
- Novice and Middle wrestlers can switch once. Must compete in SWMLG tournaments once the SWMLG season starts.
If you are unsure which team is the right fit for your athlete, please reach out to our coaches at email@example.com